Thursday, January 28, 2016

"Interstellar" (2014) Love Spans Across Space and Time



The Trailer:

Director: Christopher Nolan
Main Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, & Jessica Chastain
Synopsis: A team of space explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to save the human race.

I was not prepared for how amazing Interstellar is. I vaguely remember seeing the previews for it, but I never payed much attention to them. I didn't really know what the film was about and when I decided to watch it, it was on a whim. And I am oh so glad that I did, because this is one of those films that is a true cinematic masterpiece. It's a wondrous story with great acting, gorgeous cinematography, and seamless CGI and production.

The world is on it's last leg, there's little food, and everything is being smothered by blankets of dust. So as an attempt to find a new planet to relocate all Earthlings to, a group consisting of Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), Brand (Anne Hathaway), Doyle (Wes Bentley), Romilly (David Gyasi) and TARS (voiced by Bill Irwin), an old military robot, board the Endurance and begin a mission that is both dangerous and exciting. That is the basic premise of Interstellar, but there is so much more than that. It is also the story of a father's fierce devotion to his children and vice versa.  I refuse to tell you anymore, though, because I don't want to ruin any of the wonders of the film for y'all. Just know that it is extraordinary and a bit of a cry-fest, well for me anyway. Also I'd like to take a moment to applaud the writers because not only did they write an amazing script, but they also stayed true to scientific laws and theories as we know them today. Everything that is said, explained, and shown (mostly everything) is scientifically accurate and I have so much respect for that. I hate watching movies about space travel and there is not one lick of accuracy to any of it. So bravo, writers!

Let me start with the acting. There are big Hollywood names in this film, so it can only be expected that the acting be superb, but all the actors went above and beyond to create a truly genuine experience. Matthew McConaughey playing Cooper— the pilot of the spacecraft named the Endurance and devoted father to Murph (Mackenzie Foy, as a child. Jessica Chastain, as an adult. Ellen Burstyn as an older woman) and Tom (Timothée Chalamet, as a child. Casey Affleck, as an adult)— is emotional, believable, and strong. I had no doubts about Cooper's capabilities as a pilot and of his unwavering faith in the promise he made to Murph that he would return home to her and that's all due to McConaughey's ability to wholly become this character. Because of the lack of attention paid to the trailer, I didn't even know Anne Hathaway starred in Interstellar and was a little weary of her presence in the film when she was introduced. Not that I doubt her ability to act, but my minimal exposure to her have been in films like The Devil Wears Prada and The Princess Diaries (I have yet to watch Les Mis).  And while those two films are wonderful in their own right, they're not anywhere near as serious and magical as this film, so I was worried. My worries quickly dissipated, though, as I saw how well she complimented McConaughey's easy-going, subtle intensity with her own emotionally charged energy. She played Brand, a scientist along on the space expedition, with such vigor and hopefulness, but not in an annoying way. She is smart and makes sound decisions yet has this unwavering faith that they will save the human race, no matter how hard it is or how long it takes. Jessica Chastain as the adult Murph, Cooper's daughter, is the perfect casting choice. Chastain has a determined air about her that works well with her Murph character. Murph is resilient and dedicated to the cause of bringing her father back home, whatever that takes. Then the secondary characters are just as radiant as the main characters. And there are quite a few, and yet all of them have a well-fleshed out story that is just as integral to the overall plot as the main characters. I salute the writers for their amazing script-writing and their ability to bring life and vitality to every single character within this leviathan of a film.

My holy Satan, the cinematography and production of this film is breathtaking. The way space is shown in all it's natural, muted, expansive beauty is awe-inspiring. I have always had a fascination with the immensity of the universe and the idea of space travel and this film fulfilled all my dreams and fancies about it. I wasn't only impressed by the space footage used in the film, but also by the minimal CGI used. The little CGI that is used, however, blends in seamlessly with the realistic images shown throughout. The only gripe I have with Interstellar is the score, but at the same time I can't imagine a more perfect score for this film. And it's not horrible in any way, I'm just entirely in love with it.

Interstellar is a wondrous, breathtaking, and poignant film definitely worthy of the awards that it won. It's not only a tale of saving humanity, it's a tale of a parent's unwavering love for his/her child. Everyone should see this film, everyone! Would I watch it again? Yes, always yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment